Washington Trade Counsel LLC - Attorney at Law
Washington D.C.  |  Beijing  |  Qingdao
Your Subtitle text
Business Immigration Law
We offer immigration advice to corporations and individuals nationally and internationally. Companies with immigration issues need competent attorneys to assist them in complying with ever increasing complex federal immigration laws.   As a member of American Immigration Lawyers Association, we provide the expertise that matches the complexities of your needs, and we offer legal rates competitive to corporate clients.


If you come to the U.S. on a temporary trip for business or for pleasure, you will need a B-1 Visa for business (e.g. attending conferences, business meetings) or on a B-2 Visa for pleasure (e.g. tourism, visit friends or relatives). Both B-1 and B-2 visas require that you have permanent residence in the home country (which you have no intention of abandoning), that you enter the U.S. for a temporary period, and that you engage in activity relating to business or pleasure. You may not be engaged in employment during your stay in the U.S.

We will evaluate your case and offer advice on the paperwork you should file in order to secure the B-1 or B-2 visa. We can also assist persons already in the U.S. with the filing for extensions of stay.

L-1 Visa for Intra-Company Tranfers

The L-1 intra-company transferee visa allows executives, managers, and employees with specialized skills to transfer from the foreign company to a U.S. office, subsidiary, or affiliated company to perform temporary services. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service usually decides petitions in 30-60 days. 

L-1 visas are granted initially for 1 to three years with extensions available in three-year increments, with a total stay not to exceed seven years. The intra-company transferee is allowed to work for the U.S. subsidiary or affiliate company. The spouse and children under 21 are allowed to accompany the L-1 visa holder during the period of the transferee status. 

In limited circumstances, it may be possible to convert the L-1 visa for executives and managers to lawful permanent residence status. The applicant must have been employed by the foreign "parent company" for at least twelve months during the three year period immediate prior to filing the L-1 visa application. 

The applicant must have been employed as an executive, manager, or as a specialized skill worker for a minimum of twelve months during the three years immediately preceding the filing of the L-1 visa petition. The applicant be employed as an executive, manager, or as a specialized skill worker for the same company, or its U.S. subsidiary or affiliate. 

The current (foreign) and prospective ( U.S.) companies must be either the same company, or related by subsidiary or affiliate ownership. L-1 visas may not be extended beyond a total of seven years. There must be continual existence of the foreign company during the transferee's stay in the U.S. 

We can provide employers as well as employees with all available options. Not only can we provide general information about obtaining these visas, we will also prepare the paperwork and documents and submit these to the USCIS.  In addition, we offer experienced advice in how to present your best case to secure your approval given the unique circumstances of each individual applicant and his employer.

Green Card or Permanent Residency

If you plan to work, do business or just live in the United States permanently without any renewal of visa, you should apply for a Green Card. The Green Card (Alien Registration Card) is obtained upon the approval of an immigrant visa or an adjustment of status. Several paths can lead to Permanent Residency. The Permanent Residency can be obtained through Family Sponsorship, Labor Certification through Sponsorship by an employer in the U.S., by National Interest Waiver (Self-Sponsorship), or another special category for persons of Extraordinary Ability. Business executives currently on a L-1A visa usually can apply for what is called EB1(3) visa for Multinational Managers and Executives.  There is no labor certification required for this green card category.

We can process your green card application or petition, either on behalf of your employer or you. We will strategically analyze your employment and education situation and offer advice on the best strategy for you or your employer to get you the permanent residency you need in the most efficient way. We will work with you through every step in the process to be sure your interests protected -- until you receive your Green Card in the mail.

For detailed information on all immigration classifications, please visit:


For detailed information on investor immigration classifications, please visit:


Website Builder